Meet Melinda M. Previtera, Philadelphia Family Law Attorney
Melinda M. Previtera focuses her practice in all areas of family law including divorce, child support and custody, same-sex marriage rights, and domestic violence law.
Building great relationships with clients is the cornerstone to Melinda’s successful practice as a family law attorney. Her passion and experience allows her to tackle the most complicated cases with confidence and knowledge to obtain the best outcomes for her clients. As partner, she is the attorney team lead and acts as a mentor for the firm’s associates.
“Working in this intense legal field is a privilege which continues to spark my love for litigation, negotiation, and advocacy.”
Prior to moving to private practice, Ms. Previtera served as a judicial law clerk for the Honorable James P. Savio in the family division. She subsequently worked as an associate at the Law Office of Nicholas Clemente, where she was managing attorney of the firm’s UFCW Union Legal Plan. Melinda partnered with Diana Schimmel Avena to establish Previtera & Schimmel, LLC after working at Petrelli Law as an associate. She joined the firm again as partner in 2017.
Melinda earned her law degree from Rutgers School of Law. While at Rutgers, she received a certification in mediation, conducted research in child advocacy rights, and completed a domestic violence clinic. She earned dual bachelor’s degrees, cum laude, from Dickinson College. She is admitted to practice in Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
In addition to her legal background, Ms. Previtera is an executive committee member of the Justinian Society and an active member of both the Nicholas A. Ciprani Inn of Court and the Philadelphia Bar Association.
The International Women’s Leadership Association recognized Melinda as a “Woman of Outstanding Leadership” for her personal and professional achievements and for her dedication to supporting other women in reaching their goals. She was also selected for inclusion in the 2016 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® Rising Stars list – an honor given to attorneys younger than 40 or who have been in practice for 10 years or less. Also in 2016, Melinda was named to the Top 40 under 40 list by the Institute of Family Lawyers.
- Juris Doctor, Rutgers School of Law
- S. in Political Science, Dickinson College
- S. in Women Studies Dickinson College
- Selected for inclusion to Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® Rising Stars – 2016 to Present
- Selected for inclusion to Institute of Family Lawyers Top 40 under 40 – 2016 to Present
- Named a Woman of Outstanding Leadership by the International Women’s Leadership Association
Professional & Bar Association Memberships
- Executive Committee Member, Justinian Society of Lawyers– 2014 to 2017
- Member, Nicholas Cipriani American Inn of Court 2010 to 2017
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Member, New Jersey Bar Association
- Member, Philadelphia Bar Association
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
- New Jersey