Tax Tips Post-Divorce
A lot changes once you get divorced, and how you file your taxes is no exception. Here are some handy tips to make this tax season (maybe your first post-divorce!) as easy as possible:
- Keep in mind when your divorce was finalized. You may have been legally single for some of the tax year, but married for the other part.
- Once your divorce is legal, you will want to file as single. Make sure that your ex-partner’s name and social security number are nowhere on your filing to keep both of your records/filings separate.
- Alimony is deductible from the income of the spouse that pays it.
- Child support is not deductible from the income of the spouse that pays it.
- Legal service fees and/or court filing fees are not deductible.
- Tax advice service fees may be deductible.
If you are going through a divorce this tax season and have more questions, please contact Petrelli Previtera, LLC to schedule your initial consultation today!