Tension between former spouses may continue through the conclusion of a family-related legal matter. It’s not uncommon for one parent to act vindictively against the other. However, refusing to comply with a child support agreement is a bad idea. Serious legal issues can arise when support is involved. Below are a few of the rules regarding child support and handling child support problems in New Jersey.

The Child Support Process in New Jersey

When a custodial parent files for child support services and the application is approved by the court, the non-custodial parent then has a legal responsibility to support the children. The support comes in payments to the custodial parent.

Per federal law, parents make child support payments through income withholding. In other words, payments are automatically deducted from the non-custodial parent’s paycheck. When income withholding is unavailable, a court order will instruct the non-custodial parent to pay the set amount weekly or monthly.

If the Non-Custodial Parent Won’t Pay

If the non-custodial parent refuses to pay child support to the custodial parent, the New Jersey Child Support Agency’s County Probation Division can enforce the court order by one of the following means:

  • Requiring the non-custodial parent’s employer to deduct money from his or her pay
  • Taking the past-due amount from a tax refund or other lump sum of money
  • Seizing assets and property such as bank accounts, cars, real estate, etc.
  • Issuing a warrant
  • Returning the case to court to discuss the agreement
  • Reporting the payment delinquency to a credit reporting agency

The law is on the custodial parent’s side when he or she isn’t receiving child support payments. The New Jersey Child Support Agency has a variety of enforcement tools. When a custodial parent reports payment issues to the Child Support Agency right away, he or she can obtain the necessary assistance to enforce the court order.

If the Non-Custodial Parent Moves Out of State

Even if the non-custodial parent moves out of New Jersey, child support payments should continue through income withholding. In the same manner as with a New Jersey employer, the Child Support Agency will ask the non-custodial parent’s out-of-state employer to deduct the required amount from his or her wages.

If income withholding is inapplicable or another factor prevents the payment process from going smoothly, the custodial parent may need to file a petition to ask the other state to enforce the child support order. The local office will help the custodial parent file the appropriate documentation to enforce the order in the non-custodial parent’s new home state.

Getting Legal Assistance with Child Support Problems in New Jersey

Unfortunately, these and other related obstacles can still arise after your legal matter has concluded. Our firm can help you by providing suggestions, such as when it may be beneficial to have NJ’s probation office manage your child support. Our experience also allows us to help you navigate and overcome child support issues with as little stress and confusion as possible. Contact Petrelli Previtera, LLC for assistance if you’re facing issues with your family law matter. We can help.