Washington DC Divorce Lawyer
If you find yourself facing the prospect of divorce, it’s normal to experience sadness, frustration, anger, and a many other emotions. In fact, psychiatrists rank divorce as one of the top two most stressful lifetime events, second only to the death of a spouse. One of the best ways to minimize divorce-related stress is to seek the services of an accomplished Washington DC divorce lawyer. With a skilled attorney in your corner, you can boost your odds of securing an outcome that is as favorable as possible.
We work tirelessly to support you throughout your divorce
At Petrelli Previtera, LLC, we understand how traumatic it can be to go through a divorce. So, when you reach out to us for help with your divorce, we make it our mission to minimize your stress by making the divorce process as smooth as possible. We are here to provide the legal guidance and support you need from the moment you contact us until your divorce is officially finalized.
Reasons why DC-area residents turn to Petrelli Previtera, LLC
We recognize you have many options to consider if you are planning to hire a divorce lawyer. We believe you should select your attorney with care, as the choice you make could influence the outcome of your divorce. We are proud of our track record of success and are passionate about helping couples resolve divorce-related issues fairly. Here are some of the many reasons why D.C.-area residents choose us to handle their divorce:
- An award-winning legal team: Petrelli Previtera was named to the prestigious Inc. 5000 list and is no stranger to national legal awards. In addition to our superb client ratings, Thomas Petrelli, Jr. was named as one of the nation’s Top 40 under 40 trial attorneys. Other awards include the Law Firm 500 award and recognition by multiple magazines.
- A background in family law: There is no substitute for a background in family law when handling a divorce. Our expertise extends beyond a general understanding of family law. For instance, we offer guidance with LGBT and military divorces. Our attorneys also handle legal separation cases and estate planning.
- Proven results in D.C. and across America: After years of success handling divorces in the Northeast, we continue to expand our reach. In addition to helping our clients in Washington D.C., we are now helping couples in Illinois, Texas, and Maryland. We are happy to offer references or case studies if you would like to see how we have been able to help our clients.
- Dedication to educating our clients: We know how complicated the D.C. legal landscape can be. We believe in using clear, understandable language to educate our clients about each phase of the divorce process. We also offer a variety of convenient online resources to help our clients learn more about the issues that can impact a divorce.
Experience handling many types of divorce
No two divorces are exactly alike. We realize that every couple facing divorce has a unique set of circumstances that play a role in their separation. Our attorneys welcome the opportunity to listen to your story and advocate for your specific needs. Here are some of the types of divorce we handle:
A divorce is labeled “contested” if a married couple disagrees on one or more issues outlined in their divorce paperwork. For example, a couple may agree on custody arrangements but disagree on how their shared property should be divided. A divorce can become highly contested if the couple disagrees on all the main issues at stake in their divorce. Contested divorces typically take longer, as they remain contested until all outstanding issues are resolved.
We are accustomed to handling contested divorces and will take steps to ensure you are treated fairly. If you feel you are being treated unfairly or that your spouse is trying to control the divorce proceedings, we can help. Our goal is to ensure that any disagreements are resolved as quickly as possible with an outcome that is fair to you.
A divorce is considered uncontested if both spouses agree on key issues such as custody and distribution of marital property. Uncontested divorces are usually finalized faster than contested divorces because they involve fewer legal proceedings.
Our attorneys regularly represent clients going through uncontested divorces. While there aren’t as many legal proceedings involved in this type of divorce, the process is still traumatic for many couples. We strive to minimize this trauma by keeping the paperwork and process streamlined and timely.
Divorce involving federal employees and retirees
Washington D.C. is home to many people who are current or former federal employees. Because federal employees and retirees receive a specialized compensation and benefits package, divorces involving federal employees tend to be more complicated than most divorces.
We understand the unique challenges surrounding divorces involving federal employees. For some D.C.-area couples, a federal pension may prove to be one of the most significant assets on the table. From pensions to health benefits to thrift savings plans, we have an in-depth knowledge of federal benefit packages and how they should be divided during a divorce.
Our team will guide you through the process, start to finish
Regardless of the type of divorce you are seeking, our family law attorneys have the experience to guide you through the entire process. First, we make sure you are legally eligible to file for divorce in Washington D.C. Then, we leave no stone unturned to make sure that all required paperwork is properly completed and filed.
Once your paperwork is filed, we walk you through the steps needed to ensure you are treated fairly as proceedings unfold. This process may include the following measures:
- Participate in mediation sessions if you or your spouse requests them
- Secure temporary orders if you are seeking alimony or custody of your children
- Lead the discovery process that involves gathering information about your spouse
- Ensure your divorce decree is issued by the judge
- File an appeal if you need to postpone your divorce order for any reason
We answer your toughest divorce questions
If you have never been through a divorce, you may have dozens of questions running through your mind. You may also find yourself longing for a step-by-step guide to make sure you do everything necessary to secure a favorable outcome. While every divorce is different, here are a few questions we are here to help you answer:
How Do I Find the Best Divorce Lawyer for Me?
With hundreds of divorce lawyers serving the residents of Washington, DC, finding the right attorney for your unique situation can feel like a daunting task. Fortunately, with a little planning, the search can be simplified. Use these five tips to find the best divorce attorney for you.
Ask for recommendations from the right people. If you’ve had a lawyer that you’ve enjoyed working with on other legal issues, such as the purchase of a property, ask them if they have any recommendations for a divorce attorney in DC. Alternatively, ask your friends and family for referrals.
Do some online shopping. Once your list of recommendations reflects your desired outcome, take the time to review each lawyer’s website to get a better sense of their experience, services, and approach. Scour through Yelp and Google to view each lawyer’s ratings. One bad review shouldn’t scare you. However, a few negative reviews are definite red flags.
Are they compatible with you? Personality really makes a difference in the outcome of a divorce case. Select someone you feel is trustworthy, comfortable to worth with, compatible with your personality type, and that you can be confident they’ll guide you through your situation as efficiently as possible.
Look for an attorney that’s well versed in your specific divorce issue —whether that’d be alimony, custody, or child support. An attorney who’s handled divorce cases or unique issues similar to yours will provide you with the greatest chance of attaining your goals.
Focus on family law experience above all else . The lawyer who helped you with your personal injury case might be an excellent attorney overall, but they may not be familiar with the nuances of family law in the District of Columbia. A family law attorney will have the expertise, knowledge, and experience needed to effectively represent you.
What are some expenses involved with a divorce?
The cost of legal fees will depend on your lawyer’s rate and whether your divorce is contested. Because contested divorces require an attorney to spend more time on your case, you can expect to pay a higher rate than you would if you and your spouse agree on key issues.
What will happen to my property during my divorce?
- Cars, motorcycles, and boats
- Your home furnishings
- Joint business assets
- Benefits held by federal employees, if applicable
Our lawyers are dedicated to helping you protect your property and financial assets. We will help you prepare a comprehensive list of your assets and debts, including any federal pensions or other retirement benefits. We will also fight to make sure your spouse provides full disclosure on any debts and assets you may know little about. Our goal in this process is to ensure you receive your fair share of property acquired during your marriage.
The firm’s DC office law office serves all eight wards in DC and surrounding counties in Maryland.
Our office is located at:
1717 K Street NW, Suite 900
Washington DC 20006
Discover the many benefits of working with a Washington DC Divorce Lawyer at Petrelli Previtera, LLC
Selecting an experienced Washington DC divorce lawyer is the single most important step you can take if you are facing permanent separation from your spouse. When you choose Petrelli Previtera to handle your divorce, you can rest assured that your case will be handled by an experienced family law attorney who will work diligently to do the following:
- Help you arrive at a fair agreement with your spouse as quickly as possible
- Communicate with your spouse’s council on your behalf if your divorce is contested
- Ensure that your required paperwork is submitted properly and swiftly
- Fight on your behalf to ensure you receive your fair share of property and assets
- Serve as your advocate in child custody disputes
- Support you from start to finish as you move through the divorce proceedings
We invite you to contact us today to schedule a consultation to discuss your legal issue. We look forward to making your divorce as smooth and stress-free as possible.