Meet Thomas J. Petrelli, Jr. Philadelphia Divorce & Family Law Attorney
To Thomas Petrelli, a successful divorce resolution comes from having complete background knowledge, the right strategy, and a strong attorney-client relationship. “As every case is unique, my approach is fully custom,” Tom noted. “My job as a divorce lawyer is to understand each client’s needs and goals early on. Then, I take a strategic approach to get them to the finish line with as little stress as possible.” His exceptional lawyering and engaging client approach set the standard for representation in the field of family law.
As a founding and managing partner of Petrelli Previtera, Tom leads the firm in resolving divorce cases. While he represents individuals and families in all types of financial situations, he has built a particularly strong reputation handling high asset divorces and those involving businesses as marital property. In this regard, he focuses on the protection, valuation, and distribution of significant assets or business interests.
Tom’s vast experience extends to other matters, including international family law, child and spousal support, child custody, adoption, prenuptial and postnuptial agreements, and more. Positioning his clients for success, Tom aptly leverages the law while helping them cope with and solve their obstacles.
Since passing the Bar, Tom’s impressive career has earned him the recognition of his peers and authoritative legal organizations. He has been named in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers every year since 2009. Martindale-Hubbell awarded Tom with the Client Champion Gold Award in 2019 and in previous years. He is among Suburban Life Magazine’s 2010 Awesome Attorneys in the category of Divorce and Family Law, and Arrival Magazine’s Top 50 Family Lawyers in the Northeast. These and other accolades exemplify Tom’s dedication to his clients and the practice of family law.
The groundwork for Tom’s laser-sharp legal mind started with his outstanding education. In addition to his Juris Doctor from Vermont Law School, he holds an LL.M. in Trial Advocacy from Temple University’s James E. Beasley School of Law. The performance-based curriculum integrates theory, persuasion, speech, and effective use of courtroom technology. His LL.M. degree is yet another layer of experience that allows Tom to successfully represent clients in contested divorce and custody cases that go to trial.
Tom and his firm work together to ensure success for each client. In this regard, prevailing in a case might mean consulting with the rest of the legal team. For Tom’s clients, that extra step translates to getting the practicing power of nearly a dozen attorneys. He also shares his knowledge and experience with his associates, ensuring the firm works toward the best possible outcome in every case they handle.
“My clients have one shot at a successful divorce,” Tom said. “Whatever legal issues they face, we’ll face it together.”
- LLM, Temple University James E. Beasley School of Law, Philadelphia, PA
- Juris Doctor, Vermont Law School, S. Royalton, VT
- Master of Studies in Environmental Law, Vermont Law School S. Royalton, VT
- Bachelor of Business Administration, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA
- University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY
- Named to the “National Trial Lawyers Top 40 Under 40” list published by the American Society of Legal Advocates
- Superb AVVO Rating of 10
- Selected for inclusion to Pennsylvania Rising Star Super Lawyers® in 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013
- Selected for inclusion to Pennsylvania Rising Star Super Lawyers® in 2015 to present.
- Martindale-Hubbell’s Gold Client Champion 2017 Award Recipient
- Recognized in Who’s Who of American Lawyers: 2006 -2009
- Voted to Arrival Magazine’s Top 50 Family Lawyers in Northeast: 2010, 2011
- Named in Suburban Life Magazine’s Awesome Attorneys – Divorce and Family Law: 2010
- Member, PBA Statutory Law Committee, Pennsylvania Bar Association
- American Bar Association, Family Law Section
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, Family Law Section
- Philadelphia Bar Association, Real Estate Law Section and
- Philadelphia Bar Association, Family Law Section
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Camden County Bar Association
- Bar Association of the District of Columbia
- Nicholas J. Cipriani Family Law Inn of Court
- Justinian Society
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
- New Jersey
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court of New Jersey