There are a few things more frustrating, disheartening, and outright difficult than undergoing a divorce. What you once thought was a “till death do us apart” union is about to end in an unhealthy legal tussle. During this stressful period, it is challenging to make rational decisions regarding your future. If property, children, and any other aspects of dividing a household are involved in the dispute, it becomes all the more daunting.
Our Parsippany NJ divorce lawyers understand just how high the stakes are and will work to see you get the best outcome possible. Bringing clarity out of separation chaos is our forte. The attorneys at Petrelli Previtera know the local community, judges, and courts—which allows our team to navigate the Morris County court system with relative ease. Trust us to go above and beyond to help you reach the other side of your divorce dispute.
Why Choose Us?
- Our firm is built on the foundations of trust, accountability, and responsiveness.
- We work tirelessly to get the best results for you and those involved, no matter the scope or complexity of your divorce case.
- We are committed to offering the same top-notch legal service to our entire client base.
- An Inc. 5000 firm
- Our family-focused approach allows us to secure favorable child support and spousal support orders, generous child custody decisions, and multimillion-dollar property settlements for our clients.
- We are always on-call
- We strive to be the partner you can rely on
If you’re struggling with divorce issues in Parsippany, NJ, you must weigh up all the legal options available. Get in touch with Petrelli Previtera at (215) 515-2219 to schedule an initial confidential consultation session with one of our divorce attorneys. You will have an experienced, award-winning litigator handling the nuances of your case from start to finish.
Putting Our Client’s Needs First
It doesn’t matter if you’re a homemaker, businessperson, or working professional. When divorce threatens the very foundation of your life, you need a compassionate and aggressive divorce attorney to protect your quality of life and minimize the impact on those you love. For divorcing couples in Parsipanny, NJ, and the larger Morris County area, we are that attorney.
We take every divorce case by the scruff of the neck. Our do-right attitude and legal expertise offer the protection, confidence, and peace of mind you need to navigate this difficult chapter in your life seamlessly. We value your health, security, and financial stability more than anything else.
Our zealous Parsippany divorce attorneys hold your hand every step of the way, from when you decide to file a divorce petition, through the discovery phase and negotiation, to trial. We advocate for your rights during all divorce proceedings, including:
- Alimony/Spousal Support– Divorce doesn’t have to put you in a difficult financial position. Our Parsippany divorce lawyers can help you win the kind of spousal support and alimony that you so richly deserve. We can even defend you against an undeserving partner.
- Child Support– Irrespective of the disagreements between spouses, they still have a shared duty to fend for their kids. At Petrelli Previtera, our lawyers advocate for a fair division of financial support between parents so that the kids can have a happy, healthy upbringing.
- Pre- and Post-Nuptial Agreements– They say that love is blind. And if love happened between the two of you when you were exchanging vows, then there’s potential for financial loss if your marriage hits a brick wall. Our attorneys expect the unexpected. We can help draft pre-nuptial agreements that give you a financial proof in the event of divorce. We can also help you negotiate a fair and just post-nuptial agreement.
- Child Custody & Visitation– Our attorneys will fiercely fight for your legal rights so that your kids can be raised in a healthy, peaceful, and safe environment.
- Division of Marital Property– Through litigation or negotiation, our Parsippany divorce attorneys fight to obtain the best possible judgment or settlement—including your fair share of pension and 401(k) plans, real estates, marital residency, and debts.
Nobody wants to face a delicate and emotional matter like divorce alone. That’s why you need a caring and attentive Parsippany divorce attorney in your corner during this challenging period. When you approach us, we take the time to understand the depths and lengths of your situation, so we can craft a customized legal solution just for you. Even in the nastiest divorce proceedings, we provide a cool head through and through.
Get in touch with Petrelli Previtera for high-quality, personalized, and passionate legal representation in Parsipanny, NJ, today!
Parsippany Divorce Process: What Should You Expect?
Even in the most amicable scenarios, divorce can still be a headache. Before you embark on this difficult journey, it’s important to have a clear understanding of the divorce process in Parsippany. Reach out to one of our skilled divorce attorneys to guide you through these proceedings.
Step 1: Filing The Divorce Complaint
To initiate the divorce proceedings, one partner must file an official divorce petition with one of Parsippany’s local courts. If you’re that partner, then you’ll be the plaintiff. The formal divorce petition must entail information about you, your partner, and the marriage itself. It should also show the grounds for divorce, which can be based on fault or no-fault. Read more about this here.
Step 2: Response/Counterclaim & Appearance
The partner who is served with the claim (the defendant) must respond within 35 days if at all that partner wants to be heard. The defendant can choose to respond to the divorce claim either by issuing a counterclaim, appearing in person, asking for amendments, or simply agreeing with it. If the other served party decides not to respond, separate New Jersey divorce laws will apply.
Step 3: Discovery Phase/ Exchanging Financial Details
The two of you will fill out the CIS document (otherwise known as a Case Information Statement) to the best of your knowledge and exchange them with each other. The CIS document entails the financial details about both spouses. Such information is deemed relevant to the legal issues involved in the divorce, including alimony support, child support, and equitable distribution.
Before exchanging your CIS, it’s prudent to go over it together with your divorce attorney just to make you haven’t left out anything.
Step 4: Negotiating Settlement
Either before or after filing the official divorce petition, you and your partner, with the help of your attorneys, can try and work out a settlement. If you don’t arrive at an amicable settlement agreement even after the claim and response have been filled, then the local court will have no option but to set up a settlement panel. This is where both parties, alongside their lawyers, meet to try and iron out issues related to the divorce.
If both spouses agree to the recommendations of the panel, then the court will grant your divorce petition. Otherwise, the court might schedule a mediation, where an experienced divorce mediator oversees discussions between you and your spouse to try and solve the teething issues.
Step 5: Trial
It’s possible for negotiations to hit a dead end despite the best efforts of the defendant, plaintiff, and opposing counsel. In such a scenario, the court will have to intervene, which means going to trial. When the trial comes to a successful conclusion, the court will proceed to issue a Final Judgement of Divorce.
As evidenced by the above procedure, the Parsippany divorce procedure is not exactly a breeze. It can be long, costly, and tedious. Having the assistance of a solution-oriented, client-focused attorney in every stage of your divorce process is of extreme importance. Count on our divorce lawyers in Parsippany to go all the way.
Parsipanny Divorce Lawyer Frequently Asked Questions
1. I’ve been served with divorce papers. What next?
2. How long does the divorce process in Parsippany last?
3. How much does a divorce cost in Parsippany, NJ?
4. What does it mean to have a “contested divorce” and an “uncontested divorce”?
5. What should I bring with me to the initial divorce consultation?
- A list of questions you have
- List of relevant facts about your case
- Expense declaration
- Information regarding mortgages, debts, student loans, etc
- 2 or 3 years of tax returns
- Prenuptial agreements and other documents related to your marriage
- Any “incriminating evidence”—in the event that you want a “fault divorce,” it’s best to bring any evidence considered incriminating, such as posts on social media or photos.
6. What are the steps involved in a Parsippany divorce process?
- File a divorce petition to kick-start proceedings
- Serve your partner
- Receive temporary custody/support orders
- Exchange financial information (also known as discovery process)
- Attend mediation or litigation sessions
- Go to trial (optional)
- Receive the final divorce verdict from the judge
7. Can my partner and I live in the same residency during a divorce?
Sometimes, cohabiting might be a bad idea, given the stakes involved are pretty high. In such a case, you might move the kids to a different location. Or, you could have the kids stay in a shared home while you and your partner rotate occupancy. Either way, it’s important to do what’s best for your children’s emotional well-being and stability.
Get Prestigious, High-Caliber Parsippany Divorce Lawyers On Your Side
When marriage leaves a bitter taste in your mouth, and the only thing you want to do is end it, you want to have a compassionate, understanding, and competent Parsippany divorce attorney in your corner. You want not just an aggressive litigator but also a resilient negotiator. Many divorce attorneys in Morris County are one or the other.
At Petrelli Previtera, our lawyers have shown unmatched skill and success as both negotiators and litigators through the years—and we have awards to prove it. Our firm has consistently won top-notch recognition in the private practice area, including:
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers Honoree since 2015
- The National Trial Lawyers Top 40 Under 40
- Martin-Hubbell’s Gold Client Champion 2017 Award
- Inc. 5000 2019 & 2020 Mentionee
- And many more!
When representing you, the team led by Thomas Petrelli, Jr will work diligently to build a robust case, support by testimonies and expert investigations when necessary. Contact us today at (215) 515-2219 for Parsippany divorce representation like no other.
Ready To Get Answers? We’re The Parsipanny Divorce Attorneys To Call!
We know that when you’re facing a divorce, you need answers—and you need them fast. That’s where Petrelli Previtera comes in. Unlike many other divorce firms in Morris County, our attorneys will personally handle all aspects of your divorce, including your most pertinent questions. When you hire us, you won’t have to worry about having your case passed on to inexperienced staff or attorneys. You will have an award-winning, experienced litigator handling your case to its very conclusion.
If you live in Parsippany, NJ, or any of the surrounding areas, contact our legal team or schedule a video consultation with one of our attorneys, and we promise to get to the bottom of your situation. Let us bring clarity out of your divorce chaos. At Petrelli Previtera, we don’t just empower you to resolve the divorce challenges of today; we give you the confidence and character to prepare for the future!