Parsippany Family Law Attorney
Family law cases often involve major life changes. Changes in financial matters, relationships, and the family unit can be stressful and sometimes unpredictable. The Parsippany family law attorneys at Petrelli Previtera understand this and are ready to provide you with strong, decisive, and compassionate counsel. With us by your side, we know that you’ll wither this legal storm and come out stronger.
Why Choose Us?
- An 5000 firm
- Award-winning family lawyers are known for their willingness to go above and beyond for their clients. The team at Petrelli Previtera is no different.
- Each family law attorney in our prestigious firm offers sound legal advice and aggressive representation of your family’s rights in the court of law.
- As one of the top-ranked law firms in the state of New Jersey, our legal team can help with several family law issues, including child custody, divorce, and more.
- We stay in constant contact with our clients so they always know what’s happening.
Time is of the essence when family law issues come knocking. Every second counts. Waiting only puts your family’s future in jeopardy. Get in touch with one of our Parsippany NJ family law attorneys today at (866) 465-5395, and let us get you the justice you deserve.
Putting Our Clients’ Needs First
For us, every family law case is uniquely different. We treat each case with the sobriety, attention, and meticulousness it deserves. So when you entrust our Parsippany NJ family law attorney with your case, rest assured that you’ll be smiling at the end of it all. We’ll make sure that you enter the next phase of your life with character, confidence, and peace of mind. Nothing less.
We might be experts at helping New Jersey couples end their unions, but that’s not the only family law issue we thrive in. Our lawyers are equally capable of handling a vast range of other common legal issues, including:
Too many legal firms treat their clients as a number, running them through a legal machine. Not us. Our legal strategy is tailored around providing the personalized, first-class representation you need. Once you choose us, we will get down to work immediately. We will then create a unique plan for your specific family law issue, setting you on the path of justice and deserved compensation.
Parsippany Family Laws At A Glance
No one wishes for their “happily ever after union” to end. But things happen, and when they do, you want a clear and concise legal path you can follow to end your marriage successfully. New Jersey has that legal path.
Divorce laws in New Jersey as similar to those in other states. For example, to file for a Parsippany divorce, at least one of the parties must be a New Jersey resident. To file for a no-fault divorce, the couple must be living separately and apart for at least 18 months before either party files for divorce.
Other grounds for divorce in Parsippany, NJ, include:
- Cruelty or violence
- Conviction of crime (imprisonment for at least 18 months)
- Drug or alcohol addiction
- Mental illness or insanity
- Deviant sexual behavior without the plaintiff’s consent
Child Custody Laws
There are two main aspects of custody in Parsippany, NJ:
- Physical custody: where the child will spend their time; and
- Legal custody: which parent is responsible for decision-making on behalf of the child.
When it comes to awarding child custody, the court primarily considers the best interests of the child. If the parents are seeking joint custody, the court will evaluate their ability to communicate, corporate, and agree with regard to the child. Also, any history of domestic violence will weigh in heavily in any visitation or custody decision.
Other factors considered when determining child custody in Parsippany, NJ, include (but are not limited to):
- Stability of the home environment
- Fitness of parents
- Parents’ employment opportunities
- Interaction of the child with its siblings and parent
- Preference of the child (if 12 or older)
Child Support Laws
When coming up with a child support decision, the court will determine who will pay and how much by considering:
- Each parent’s income
- Medical insurance costs
- Daycare expenses (if any)
- Living arrangements of the children
- Any applicable Social Security benefits, and
- Any other factors considered relevant by the court
Asset or Property Division Guidelines
New Jersey equitably distributes marital property in a divorce. This means that, while the division might not be equal, it is fair based on a number of factors. These factors include:
- The fault grounds for the divorce
- How long the marriage has lasted
- Living conditions following the divorce
- Personal information about each divorcee
Whether you need legal help with complex asset division or child custody, our Parsippany NJ family law attorneys can help. Get in touch with us today.
Parsippany Family Law Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
1. Is New Jersey A Community Property State?
2. How are Debts Divided In a Parsippany NJ Divorce?
3. Is Co-Parenting an Option in Parsippany?
4. What Is the Difference Between Separate Property and Marital Property?
5. How Is Alimony Calculated in Parsippany?
Award-Winning Family Law Attorneys You Can Rely On
At Petrelli Previtera, we know that it’s difficult to navigate legal wrangles among family members. That’s why we bring our A-game to every case we take on. Our track record in the family law realm is spectacular, to say the least. We are top-rated, and have been scooping one award after another in recent years, including the prestigious:
- Inc 5000 Honoree
- Martindale-Hubbell’s Gold Client Champion 2017 Award
- 10/10 Avvo Superb Rating
As the premier law firm in Parsippany, NJ, we stand by our word to provide you with client-focused, high-caliber representation. Trust us to bring clarity out of your family chaos.
We Have All The Answers You’re Looking For
At a time when your world is turning upside-down, Petrelli Previtera is here to hold your hand. Our Parsippany family law attorneys can help build a robust foundation for the next chapter of your life. Whether you’re adopting a child, planning your future, or going through a divorce, we have all the legal answers you’re looking for. Contact us today or schedule a consultation with a member of our legal team.