We serve clients in Montgomery County and the surrounding area
For some people, their divorce is no surprise. It has been anticipated for a while and might even come as a relief. And yet others are completely blindsided, with their world as they know it turned upside down. No matter where you’re at emotionally, our attorneys are here to help you understand the legal side of your divorce.
Why Choose Petrelli Previtera, LLC?
- We start by listening to what your priorities, fears, and goals are
- Our attorneys educate you about the divorce process, so that you understand your rights and responsibilities
- Our law firm prides itself on being compassionate, empathetic, and professional
- We represent stay-at-home parents, high-income earners, and everyone in between
- Our firm has been named to Inc. magazine’s “5000” list, an honor bestowed on the country’s fastest-growing, privately-held companies
- We have experience with complex divorces including dividing a business, international divorces, and grey divorces
Speak with an Experienced Abington Divorce Attorney
You can arrange to speak with one of our attorneys by calling our Abington office at (610) 890-4833 or by scheduling a consultation online.
We Put Our Clients’ Needs First
The process of going through a divorce is overwhelming on many levels. First, you must cope with your own emotions. And then there are many important decisions that you must make. When our clients are trying to figure out what their priorities are, we encourage them to ask themselves, “What will be important one year from now? How about five years?”
Each divorce is unique, but many of our clients find themselves having to sort through and establish:
- A parenting plan that includes child custody and visitation schedules
- Child support that ensures that each parent’s financial responsibility to the children is upheld
- Spousal support, so that a lower wage-earning or stay-at-home parent does not struggle financially
- A fair division of property, including the marital home, vacation properties, investments, liquid assets, artwork and other collections, pensions, and retirement accounts
Some divorcing couples agree on these matters. And yet others will have a difference of opinion and must have their cases heard in court. We’ll be with you every step of the way, to help you understand where your case is at and what choices you have along the way.
Frequently Asked Questions About Divorce in PA
What are the residency requirements for filing for divorce in Pennsylvania?
How long does a divorce take?
Does Pennsylvania acknowledge common law marriages?
What are the grounds for divorce in Abington, PA?
- Perhaps the most clear-cut route to marriage dissolution is a “mutual consent” divorce, in which both parties agree that the marriage is irretrievably broken. In these types of divorces, the state presumes a spouse’s consent if he or she is convicted of committing a personal injury against the other spouse.
- In some cases, a couple may qualify for a no-fault divorce after a period of separation if the two parties have lived apart for at least one year.
- For parties that wish to file an at-fault divorce, the state permits the following grounds:
- “Willful and malicious desertion” lasting at least one year
- “Cruel and barbarous treatment” enacted by one spouse, that “endangered the life or health” of the other spouse
- If one spouse is sentenced to prison for two or more years
- Lastly, under certain circumstances, institutionalization is grounds for divorce. This type of divorce can be pursued if one party was institutionalized “for at least 18 months immediately before the commencement of an action under this part and where there is no reasonable prospect that the spouse will be discharged from inpatient care during the 18 months subsequent to the commencement of the action.”
A Prestigious Law Firm for High-asset/High-income Divorces
We are a top-rated family law firm, with many of our attorneys earning awards and accolades:
- Super Lawyers, which is a nationally-recognized peer rating service of attorneys
- Martindale-Hubbell’s Gold Client Champion 2017 Award Recipient
- The National Trial Lawyers Top 40 Under 40
- The National Advocates Top 100 Lawyers
- Arrive Magazine Top 50 Lawyers in the Northeast
Not all family law firms are equipped to handle high-asset/high-income divorces. At Petrelli Previtera, we’re experienced with the complexities and high stakes involved in these types of divorces. We work with skill and discretion to protect your public image.
Get the Answers You Need from the Family Law Attorneys at Petrelli Previtera, LLC
If you’re going through a divorce, you likely have many questions. We know that these questions can’t wait, which is why offer same-day consultations whenever possible.
While divorce is never easy, it can set you on the path to a new beginning. Our attorneys are here to make sure you are prepared for the next chapter of your life. Contact our Abington office today to speak with one of our skilled divorce attorneys.
Petrelli Previtera, LLC
Office location (610) 890-4833
1147 Easton Road
Abington, PA 19001