If you are reading this page, you are probably facing a life-altering family law issue. You’ve reached your breaking point. Something must change. You have concerns. You don’t know what to expect. You’re afraid of what life after this will look like. What will the future hold? You are wondering what the next steps should be. We understand what you’re going through. At Petrelli Previtera, LLC, we are ready and willing to stand by your side during this difficult and confusing time. We get it.
When you reach out, our award-winning Abington PA family law attorneys will take the time to fully understand your divorce or sensitive family law dispute before devising a legal strategy centered on achieving your goals. Every step of the way, our legal team will be there to help you make informed decisions with your family’s needs in mind—and we do mean it when we say ‘team’. You don’t get paired with just one attorney or legal clerk. Our entire law firm bands together and lends a hand to every single case that needs it. After all, what good is a family law firm if it doesn’t feel like family? Schedule an initial confidential consultation with us today to start bringing clarity out of your family law chaos.
The Abington, PA law office is based in Montgomery County and serves the surrounding counties including Berks County, Bucks, Delaware County, Chester County, LeHigh County, and Philadelphia Counties.
1147 Easton Road
Abington, PA 19001
Abington Attorneys Specialized in Family Law
Our family law attorneys in Abington, PA work hard to help you achieve a successful outcome and minimize the disruption in your life—all while helping you to prepare to face the future. We are experienced in all aspects of family law, including:
- Divorce: Deciding to divorce is one of the most difficult things you can do in life. And once you take this first step, there are many paths you can follow. We’re here to show you the way.
- Spousal support: We can help you pursue spousal support to adequately meet your needs, or prepare for a situation in which you are likely to be ordered to make payments to your spouse.
- Child support: Our experienced attorneys know what factors courts consider when determining child support payments, and we can help make sure your case is presented in the best light possible.
- Child custody: When you retain us, we will work with you to develop a strategy tailored specifically to your unique situation. Through it all, we will make sure that your child’s best interests are always a top priority. We can also aggressively advocate for your rights in court if need be.
- Adoption: Adopting a child is one of the happiest and most rewarding moments in a person’s life. There may be lots of steps to take between making the decision and giving a child a new home, but we are here to support you all the way.
- Estate planning: Our Abington estate planning attorneys offer customized representation and advocacy to ensure your wishes are respected and your loved ones aren’t left with a mess to sort out later down the road.
- Prenuptial and postnuptial agreements: We can advise you regarding how to protect your interests before you sign a prenup or postnup, or we can work with you and your partner to draft an agreement that holds up in court.
Frequently Asked Questions About Family Law in Abington, PA
How long will my divorce case take?
Filing for divorce is an emotional experience. Most people have never filed for divorce and they don’t know what to expect. Most cases are concluded in 90 days to a year. However, if you and your spouse are goal-focused and reasonable, the process can be relatively quick. It takes two to tango. Speak with our Abington PA family law attorney so you can get a better understanding of how long you can expect your case to wrap up.
Can my spouse and I use the same attorney for our divorce?
No. Pennsylvania law prohibits one attorney from representing both parties in a divorce case. This is true even if the case is uncontested. The reason for this is that your attorney is expected to work in your best interests and no one else’s.
How are spousal support and alimony pendente lite calculated in Abington?
Spousal support is not calculated by a formula in Pennsylvania. Rather, the court must weigh and consider a range of factors in determining if alimony is appropriate in any given case, and, if so, in what amount and for how long. These factors include but are not limited to:
- Relative earning capacity of each spouse
- The expectations and inheritances of the parties
- The relative assets and liabilities of the parties
- The ages and the physical, mental, and emotional conditions of the parties
- Marital misconduct
- Marriage duration
- Contribution to the other party’s education
Alimony pendente lite, which is the amount of money that one spouse pays to the other during the course of a divorce, follows a strict formula of determination. In most instances, the formula for these payments is 40 percent of the difference in the net income of both parties. If children are involved, the amount is lowered to 30 percent. This is because the spouse who is paying alimony is also paying child support.
Who gets custody of the kids in Abington?
Under Pennsylvania law, the child’s best interests are the most important factor in determining which parent gets physical custody. The child’s best interests are also a crucial factor for the court when deciding whether a situation warrants granting sole custody. Unfortunately, this process can be long and stressful. It is often more convenient to reach a mutual agreement with your spouse in an uncontested divorce to avoid court involvement.
That said, joint custody is very common in Pennsylvania—even when the child primarily lives with one parent—and it is by far the most preferred outcome of custody cases.
Get Answers From Top-Rated Family Law Attorneys
Our Abington family law attorneys understand that family-related tussles can take a toll on your emotional and mental health, and that you may have more questions than answers. That’s why we have set up our meeting times to be as flexible as possible. Whether you’d prefer a same-day consultation or a weekend meeting with a high caliber attorney, we can make it happen. We are always here when you need us.
As you walk through our doors, you will notice the difference that an award-winning law firm can make for your case. Tenacious, thoughtful, and compassionate, our team members share decades of experience and are committed to each one of our clients. You could be next. Let us help protect your rights and prepare for a better future with your family. Give us a call today.