Skip to main content
(866) 465-5395 Schedule a Consultation (866) 465-5395 Schedule a Consultation

Can a Parent Take a Child Out of State Without the Other Parent’s Consent?

| |

Family dynamics can be complicated, and when marriages or relationships break down, custody of children can become a significant point of contention. One particularly challenging situation arises when one parent decides to move out of state with the child(ren) without the other parent’s consent. This guide delves into the intricacies of this issue, focusing on laws across various states and offering advice on steps to take if you face this scenario.

State Laws on Taking a Child Out of State

States have different regulations concerning taking a child out of state without the other parent’s consent. Here’s a quick overview of some notable state laws:

Maryland: Maryland’s custody laws emphasize the child’s best interests. Removing a child from the state without the other parent’s consent, especially if it disrupts the child’s routine, can be seen negatively unless a legitimate reason is given.

Colorado: The state has strict relocation laws. A parent with custody intending to move must provide written notice to the other parent. If the other parent objects, the court will decide based on the child’s best interests.

Georgia: Georgia requires that the primary custodian provide at least 30 days’ notice before relocating. The other parent can contest the move, leading to a court hearing.

Pennsylvania: If a custodial parent wants to relocate, they must notify the non-custodial parent. If the non-custodial parent objects, the matter will go before the court.

New Jersey: New Jersey courts will focus on the child’s best interest when considering relocation. The parent intending to move has the burden of proving that the move will not harm the child’s relationship with the non-moving parent.

What to Do If Your Spouse Left the State with Your Kids

When faced with this challenging situation, taking immediate action becomes imperative. It is crucial to seek guidance from your attorney who will offer advice on the appropriate course of action, especially if your spouse has left the state with your children or if you are contemplating relocating out of state with them. Depending on the specific circumstances, common actions may include seeking legal remedies, pursuing custody arrangements, and ensuring the best interests of the children are protected.

Seek Legal Counsel: Consult a family law attorney specializing in custody issues. They can guide you on the best course of action based on your circumstances and state laws.

File a Complaint: If you believe the other parent will move imminently, file a complaint for custody. Alongside this, you may file an emergency motion to prevent the move.

Court Writ: If the parent has already left the state, you can request a writ demanding the child’s immediate return.

Gather Evidence: Collect evidence showing that the move was not in the child’s best interest or done without your consent. This could include testimonials, school records, or communication between you and the other parent.

Stay Calm: While it’s a stressful situation, remaining calm and rational can be beneficial when discussing matters in court or with legal professionals.

Considerations for the Court

When making decisions, the court will always prioritize the best interest of the child. This means that various factors are considered to ensure that the child’s well-being and welfare are protected. These factors may include the child’s physical and emotional needs, their relationship with both parents, their educational and social development, and any potential risks or challenges that may arise. By thoroughly assessing these factors, the court aims to make decisions that promote the child’s overall welfare and create a safe and nurturing environment for them.

Disruption to the child’s routine and environment.
The moving parent’s reasons for relocating.
How the move affects the child’s relationship with both parents.

Consequences for the Moving Parent

A parent who moves out of state without proper notice or against court orders may face serious legal consequences and challenges in the custody and visitation arrangements. This can disrupt the child’s routine, emotional distress, and potential strain on the parent-child relationship. It is important for parents to understand and comply with the legal requirements and court orders to ensure the well-being and stability of all parties involved.

Contempt of court.
Reversal of custody arrangements.
Legal penalties or fines.

Contact us now to learn how we can help!

The decision to relocate with a child is never taken lightly by the courts. Parents facing this scenario should seek legal counsel immediately, understand state laws, and prioritize the child’s best interests. While this situation is challenging, the legal system provides avenues to ensure that children’s welfare and parental rights are upheld.

Client Testimonials

Here's what our clients have to say about working with us. Please note, results may vary based on individual circumstances.

Melinda Previtera, Esq. came highly recommended to our family. Her knowledge base, professionalism, and compassion paved the way for a successful outcome. Melinda is efficient, detailed, and informative. She helps manage expectations, and postures her client for a fair and equitable result. We are happy to recommend Melinda!

Jennifer A.

My experience was very good. Everyone was professional and attentive to my needs, keeping me updated every step of the way. I couldn’t ask for a better result, highly recommended.

David R.

My marriage life has been a hell for me for the past four years until I decided to put an end to what has to be ended. Choosing a lawyer was another additional stressful part of the long process. I’m so glad that I’ve found the right one for me at Petrelli Previtera. Life isn’t always fair, but at least having her in my corner, felt even better. I couldn’t recommend her highly enough!

Caitlin B.

Serving Clients at the Following Locations

Bethesda4800 Hampden Lane, Suite 200 Bethesda MD 20814(301) 234-7409view details
Maryland5425 Wisconsin Ave Chevy Chase, MD 20815(301) 889-8085view details
schedule a consultation Today
Contact Us Fill out the form or call us today (866) 465-5395