When a family-related legal issue arises, how you should proceed depends on whether you and your partner are legally married, have a domestic partnership or civil union, or you are cohabitating.
The attorneys Petrelli Previtera Schimmel, LLC are dedicated to working closely with clients to come up with efficient and durable solutions to their family law issues.
Same-sex marriage has been legal across the U.S. since June 2015, when the Supreme Court ruled that state bans on same-sex marriage are unconstitutional. Couples who have been legally married are also legally able to divorce, and the same state rules apply when they divide their assets, including:
- Marital assets such as homes, cars, furniture, businesses, jewelry, art, etc.
- Non-marital assets, meaning those excluded by a prenuptial agreement and inheritances and gifts kept separate during the marriage
- Marital debts including credit card bills, mortgages, loans, tax obligations, and judgments
- Retirement incentives like 401(k) plans, stock plans, stock options, and deferred compensation
Every couple has their own set of property, assets, and debts that will need to be properly divided during divorce. Our attorneys are highly qualified to assist divorcing spouses with this task as well as alimony, child custody and support, and any other legal issues they face.
Hurdles for Unmarried Couples
Depending on the jurisdiction, couples who are not legally married may encounter certain obstacles when working out family-related conflict – even if they entered a civil union or a domestic partnership. Petrelli Previtera Schimmel, LLC can assist non-married couples with creating legally binding agreements in the following areas:
- Child custody, support, and visitation rules
- Parenting plan for day-to-day decisions
- Separation and division of assets and debts
No matter the legal issue, we can help unmarried couples reach an agreement. We will then write and file a legally-binding document summarizing the terms.
Contact Petrelli Previtera Schimmel, LLC
When you’re facing a family-related legal matter, figuring out how to proceed may be confusing, stressful, and overwhelming. We’re here to help you navigate the complexities and move forward with your life. Our lawyers have vast experience in successfully handling a wide variety family law issues, and they can get you on the right track toward a great solution. Contact Petrelli Previtera Schimmel, LLC today to schedule a consultation.