Skip to main content
(866) 465-5395 Schedule a Consultation (866) 465-5395 Schedule a Consultation

When Does Child Support End in Colorado?

| |

Child support is a crucial aspect of ensuring that children receive the financial support they require from both parents. In Colorado, understanding when child support concludes, and the associated nuances can be intricate. Let’s delve into the specifics.

What Is Child Support in Colorado?

At its core, child support is a financial commitment made by one parent to the other, ensuring the child’s basic needs like food, shelter, education, and healthcare are met. The determination of child support in Colorado is governed by the child support guidelines set out in Colorado Revised Statutes Title 14 § 14-10-115.

Typical Termination Age for Child Support

In many U.S. states, the age of majority, when a child legally becomes an adult, is 18. However, in Colorado, child support typically continues until the child reaches the age of 19. There are certain exceptions to this rule:

  1. High School Enrollment: If the child is still in high school or a similar educational program when they turn 19, child support can continue until the end of the month following their graduation, but not beyond the age of 21.
  2. Dropouts and Re-enrollment: Should a child drop out and later re-enroll in high school, support persists until one month post-graduation, capped at the age of 21.
  3. Physical or Mental Disabilities: For children with disabilities, support can extend beyond 19.
  4. Marriage Dissolution: If a child marries and later divorces or annuls their marriage, child support can be reinstated.
  5. Financial Independence: If a child cannot financially support themselves or live autonomously.

Early Termination of Child Support

While 19 is the standard age, there are situations where child support may end earlier:

  1. If the child marries.
  2. If they achieve financial independence through employment.
  3. Upon joining the military before age 19.
  4. If both parents agree in writing to the child’s emancipation.

Consequences of Not Paying Child Support

It is important to understand that stopping child support payments without legal authorization can have serious consequences. Unpaid amounts, known as “arrearages,” can accumulate and lead to the following repercussions:

  • Tax refunds interception
  • Seizure of bank accounts
  • Negative credit bureau reporting
  • Driver’s license suspension
  • Income assignments, where child support is directly deducted from wages

Understanding the Legal Process for Child Support Adjustments

Child support is a comprehensive obligation designed to ensure children’s well-being. Navigating its complexities, especially in relation to termination and exceptions, can be challenging. It’s always advisable to seek guidance from a Denver family law attorney if you face uncertainties regarding child support in Colorado.

Client Testimonials

Here's what our clients have to say about working with us. Please note, results may vary based on individual circumstances.

Melinda Previtera, Esq. came highly recommended to our family. Her knowledge base, professionalism, and compassion paved the way for a successful outcome. Melinda is efficient, detailed, and informative. She helps manage expectations, and postures her client for a fair and equitable result. We are happy to recommend Melinda!

Jennifer A.

My experience was very good. Everyone was professional and attentive to my needs, keeping me updated every step of the way. I couldn’t ask for a better result, highly recommended.

David R.

My marriage life has been a hell for me for the past four years until I decided to put an end to what has to be ended. Choosing a lawyer was another additional stressful part of the long process. I’m so glad that I’ve found the right one for me at Petrelli Previtera. Life isn’t always fair, but at least having her in my corner, felt even better. I couldn’t recommend her highly enough!

Caitlin B.

Serving Clients at the Following Locations

Denver7900 E. Union Ave. Suite 1100, Denver, CO 80237(720) 821-6440view details
schedule a consultation Today
Contact Us Fill out the form or call us today (866) 465-5395