Skip to main content
(866) 465-5395 Schedule a Consultation (866) 465-5395 Schedule a Consultation

2 differences between collaborative divorce and mediation

| |

Decisions during a divorce can affect you and your family for years to come.  You and your spouse must resolve property division, alimony and child custody arrangements.

Do you and your spouse have businesses in Abington? Are there high-dollar assets? There is much to consider, but you both want to keep your issues and choices out of the hands of the court. What are your options?

Collaborative versus mediation

Collaborative divorce and divorce mediation are two types of alternative dispute resolutions, and both are nonadversarial. In a collaborative divorce, attorneys sign a “no-court” agreement, which states that they must withdraw if the case goes to court. In mediation, one person – the mediator – walks you and your spouse through the divorce resolution process.

  1. Participants

In a collaborative divorce process, several people come to the table to discuss the concerns of you and your spouse. Attorneys experienced in collaborative law engage in a team approach to come to a peaceful resolution. You and your attorney may want a financial coach or mental health expert involved.

With mediation, an attorney is not necessary. The result depends on the ability of you and your spouse working together to reach an agreement. A mediator acts as an objective third-party who conveys information in a way to help you find common ground.

  1. Cost

Although both types of ADR are less expensive than a traditional divorce, the collaborative route may cost more. You will need to pay your attorney and any other individuals you want involved in the process. The attorney may require a retainer in addition to an hourly rate.

For mediation, you may only need to pay the mediator, unless you have an attorney. The final cost could depend on several factors, such as the experience of the mediator, the issues involved and whether the mediation is “public” – court-mandated – or private. In the end, collaborative and mediation could cost the same.

Both divorce resolution procedures require a final agreement signed by you and your spouse. You will have to attend a hearing in front of a judge who will sign the paperwork.

Client Testimonials

They are amazing! I highly recommend anyone that is in need of assistance with child support hearings to seek out the expertise and experience of this law firm and staff! They handled my case quickly and I feel that my money was put to good use. Much appreciated! Nothing less than five stars!

Alana Deverson

I just want to say GREAT JOB! She is a no nonsense professional with years of experience that qualifies her as a skilled Family Law attorney. She is seasoned, sensitive, and most of all she cares. She made things easy for me. Definitely recommend!

Kimberly Colby

Overall I was pleased with the results of my divorce case. The entire Petrelli Previtera team truly cares about their clients. Luckily for me, I was paired up with an amazing team helping all the way. If you happen to work with this firm and with the lawyers you’ll be in great hands. It was such an excellent service and it was beyond I expected.

A Family Law Client Chevy Chase , MD

Serving Clients at the Following Locations

Bethesda4800 Hampden Lane, Suite 200 Bethesda MD 20814(301) 234-7409view details
Maryland5425 Wisconsin Ave Chevy Chase, MD 20815(301) 889-8085view details
ChicagoTwo Prudential Plaza 180 North Stetson Suite 3500 Chicago, IL 60601(312) 252-2085view details
Schaumburg1750 E. Golf Rd, Suite 382 Schaumburg, IL 60173(630) 491-9670view details
Texas500 W 2nd St Suite 1900 Austin, TX 78701(512) 883-1684view details
Washington DC1717 K Street NW, Suite 900 Washington DC 20006(202) 519-0366view details
Denver7900 E. Union Ave. Suite 1100, Denver, CO 80237(720) 821-6440view details
Princeton475 Wall St, Suite 214, Princeton, NJ 08540(609) 917 9560view details
Linwood210 New Road #15 Linwood, NJ 08221(609) 375-0351view details
Parsippany8 Campus Dr, Parsippany, NJ 07054(973) 310-5320view details
Philadelphia1845 Walnut Street 19th Floor Philadelphia, PA 19103(215) 523-6900view details
Montgomery County516 DeKalb Street Suite C Norristown, PA 19401(610) 924-2870view details
Doylestown123 N Broad Street, Doylestown, PA 18901(267) 938-4480view details
Abington1147 Easton Road, Abington PA 19001(610) 890-4833view details
West Chester203 W. Chestnut St., Suite 204
West Chester, PA. 19380
(610) 431-4012view details
schedule a consultation Today
Contact Us Fill out the form or call us today (866) 465-5395