Skip to main content
(866) 465-5395 Schedule a Consultation (866) 465-5395 Schedule a Consultation

At what age can a child refuse to see a parent in Colorado?

| |

According to Colorado law, there is no specific age at which a child can refuse to see a parent. However, the court considers the child’s best interests and may consider their maturity level, emotional well-being, and reasons for refusing visitation. This approach allows for a more nuanced and individualized assessment of the child’s situation, ensuring their well-being remains the priority.

There may be several reasons why a child might refuse visitation with a parent. One common reason could be an uncomfortable environment, such as a new home or a parent’s new partner that the child isn’t familiar with. In more serious cases, the child might be refusing visitation due to experiences of neglect, physical, or emotional abuse. For instance, a child might refuse to visit a parent if they constantly feel ignored or if their basic needs are not being met during visitation. Similarly, children who are victims of abuse usually show strong resistance to visiting the abusive parent.

Teenage boy with scooter in a park in summer

Parental Alienation

While valid reasons for refusing visitation must be taken seriously to safeguard the child’s well-being, it’s important to differentiate these from cases where a child’s perception may be manipulated or coerced. In some situations, one parent might seek to alienate the child from the other parent through persistent negative communication and manipulation. This is known as parental alienation, a damaging phenomenon where the child is coerced or manipulated into unjustifiably rejecting the other parent. It’s crucial to identify and address such situations promptly, as they can harm the child’s relationship with the alienated parent and also negatively affect their emotional health. In such cases, a court might intervene to uphold the child’s right to maintain an independent relationship with both parents, provided it serves their best interests.

Alienation of a parent, often referred to as “Parental Alienation”, is a critical issue that can arise in situations where a child refuses to see a parent, and it can significantly complicate the dynamics of parent-child relationships. Parental Alienation occurs when one parent consciously or subconsciously undermines and interferes with the child’s relationship with the other parent. This can happen through a variety of behaviors, such as negative speech about the other parent, limiting contact with them, or creating scenarios that lead the child to reject the other parent. This not only harms the relationship of the child with the alienated parent, but can also lead to long-term psychological effects on the child, making it a matter of utmost concern in family law cases.

Generally, both parents must encourage a healthy and positive relationship between the child and the other parent. If one parent prevents a meaningful relationship with the child, the court may intervene and modify custody or visitation agreements.

Steps to take if a child refuses visitation:

  1. Communication: The first step is to communicate with the child and try to understand the root cause of their refusal. This could involve talking to the other parent, a therapist, or even the child’s teacher for insights.
  2. Mediation: If communication alone doesn’t lead to a resolution, mediation can be an effective way to address visitation issues.
  3. Court-Appointed Assessment: The court may appoint an expert witness or counselor to assess the situation and make recommendations. This process allows for more objective evaluations and can provide insight into the underlying reasons for the child’s refusal.

It is the responsibility of the court to determine what is in the best interests of the child and make decisions regarding custody and visitation. While the child’s preferences may be taken into consideration, they do not solely dictate custody and visitation outcomes. The court will also evaluate factors such as each parent’s caregiving abilities, the parental relationship, and any history of abuse or neglect.

Looking for top child custody attorneys in Denver? Look no further than Petrelli Previtera!

Our team is committed to meeting your needs. We understand the complexities of custody matters and have a deep understanding of how a child’s right to refuse is handled by the courts. We strive to bring clarity to the chaos and ensure a positive outcome for you and your child. Contact us at (303) 416-7086 to schedule a consultation and get the answers you need. We’re here to protect your rights and advocate for the best interests of your child!

Client Testimonials

They are amazing! I highly recommend anyone that is in need of assistance with child support hearings to seek out the expertise and experience of this law firm and staff! They handled my case quickly and I feel that my money was put to good use. Much appreciated! Nothing less than five stars!

Alana Deverson

I just want to say GREAT JOB! She is a no nonsense professional with years of experience that qualifies her as a skilled Family Law attorney. She is seasoned, sensitive, and most of all she cares. She made things easy for me. Definitely recommend!

Kimberly Colby

Overall I was pleased with the results of my divorce case. The entire Petrelli Previtera team truly cares about their clients. Luckily for me, I was paired up with an amazing team helping all the way. If you happen to work with this firm and with the lawyers you’ll be in great hands. It was such an excellent service and it was beyond I expected.

A Family Law Client Chevy Chase , MD

Serving Clients at the Following Locations

Bethesda4800 Hampden Lane, Suite 200 Bethesda MD 20814(301) 234-7409view details
Maryland5425 Wisconsin Ave Chevy Chase, MD 20815(301) 889-8085view details
ChicagoTwo Prudential Plaza 180 North Stetson Suite 3500 Chicago, IL 60601(312) 252-2085view details
Schaumburg1750 E. Golf Rd, Suite 382 Schaumburg, IL 60173(630) 491-9670view details
Texas500 W 2nd St Suite 1900 Austin, TX 78701(512) 883-1684view details
Washington DC1717 K Street NW, Suite 900 Washington DC 20006(202) 519-0366view details
Denver7900 E. Union Ave. Suite 1100, Denver, CO 80237(720) 821-6440view details
Princeton475 Wall St, Suite 214, Princeton, NJ 08540(609) 917 9560view details
Linwood210 New Road #15 Linwood, NJ 08221(609) 375-0351view details
Parsippany8 Campus Dr, Parsippany, NJ 07054(973) 310-5320view details
Philadelphia1845 Walnut Street 19th Floor Philadelphia, PA 19103(215) 523-6900view details
Montgomery County516 DeKalb Street Suite C Norristown, PA 19401(610) 924-2870view details
Doylestown123 N Broad Street, Doylestown, PA 18901(267) 938-4480view details
Abington1147 Easton Road, Abington PA 19001(610) 890-4833view details
West Chester203 W. Chestnut St., Suite 204
West Chester, PA. 19380
(610) 431-4012view details
schedule a consultation Today
Contact Us Fill out the form or call us today (866) 465-5395