Skip to main content
(866) 465-5395 Schedule a Consultation (866) 465-5395 Schedule a Consultation

Your Options When Your Ex Badmouths You to the Kids

| |

parenting time

We’ve heard it many times: “My ex is badmouthing me to the kids. Is there anything I can do?”

You and your spouse are divorcing, and it’s not a friendly divorce. There is anger and hurt feelings on both sides, but you are trying to minimize the impact on your kids. One day, your very young daughter comes home from visiting with your ex and repeats a disparaging remark. You are shocked.

Unfortunately, this scenario happens too often. Angry spouses make negative comments, blame, lie about, or badmouth each other. Doing so puts the children in the middle of parental conflict. This isn’t fair to the children, and the courts look upon it negatively. In fact, it is such a serious problem that most Pennsylvania custody agreements contain clauses prohibiting parents from making negative remarks about each other to the children.

If your ex is telling lies about you, you will want to take steps to protect your children. Your first step is to look at your own behavior.

  • Make sure you set a good example. You can’t complain about your ex’s lies and put downs if you are doing the same thing. Never bad-mouth your ex in front of the kids. 
  • If your ex is making you angry, take a time out and cool off.  Walk away and take some deep breaths. Resume the conversation after you cool down. 

Children in the middle of parental conflict often feel hurt, angry and confused. Talk to your children about their feelings. Encourage them to share those feelings with the other parent or another trusted adult.

How to Help Your Children Cope With Badmouthing

If your ex:

  1. Insults you in front of the children. Let your children know that you are sorry that they heard those negative remarks. Let them explain how they feel when this happens. Encourage them to share their feelings with your ex.
  2. Tells lies about you to the kids. Don’t retaliate with negative remarks or lies about your ex. Empathize with your children’s feelings and tell them the truth about the situation. 
  3. Tells lies about you and your willingness to spend time with your children.  Calm down, so you won’t show anger in front of the kids. Don’t call your ex a liar. Tell the child you are sorry that they didn’t know that you wanted to spend time together. Let them know that you miss them. Brainstorm ways to communicate when you must be apart. 
  4. Blames you for his or her current circumstances. Resist playing the blame game. Let your children know that when people are hurt or angry they may say things that they don’t mean. Encourage your child to share his or her feelings.

If your spouse continues to make disparaging remarks, you may want to take action. Document the remarks and ask your lawyer about filing a contempt petition. In some state, such as Pennsylvania, constant putdowns and lies may be grounds for a change in custody. For more information, call Petrelli Previtera, LLC at 866-465-5395.

Client Testimonials

Here's what our clients have to say about working with us. Please note, results may vary based on individual circumstances.

Melinda Previtera, Esq. came highly recommended to our family. Her knowledge base, professionalism, and compassion paved the way for a successful outcome. Melinda is efficient, detailed, and informative. She helps manage expectations, and postures her client for a fair and equitable result. We are happy to recommend Melinda!

Jennifer A.

My experience was very good. Everyone was professional and attentive to my needs, keeping me updated every step of the way. I couldn’t ask for a better result, highly recommended.

David R.

My marriage life has been a hell for me for the past four years until I decided to put an end to what has to be ended. Choosing a lawyer was another additional stressful part of the long process. I’m so glad that I’ve found the right one for me at Petrelli Previtera. Life isn’t always fair, but at least having her in my corner, felt even better. I couldn’t recommend her highly enough!

Caitlin B.

Serving Clients at the Following Locations

Bethesda4800 Hampden Lane, Suite 200 Bethesda MD 20814(301) 234-7409view details
Maryland5425 Wisconsin Ave Chevy Chase, MD 20815(301) 889-8085view details
ChicagoTwo Prudential Plaza 180 North Stetson Suite 3500 Chicago, IL 60601(312) 252-2085view details
Schaumburg1750 E. Golf Rd, Suite 382 Schaumburg, IL 60173(630) 491-9670view details
Texas500 W 2nd St Suite 1900 Austin, TX 78701(512) 883-1684view details
Washington DC1717 K Street NW, Suite 900 Washington DC 20006(202) 519-0366view details
Denver7900 E. Union Ave. Suite 1100, Denver, CO 80237(720) 821-6440view details
Princeton475 Wall St, Suite 214, Princeton, NJ 08540 Meeting Location: By Appointment Only (609) 917 9560 view details
Linwood210 New Road #15 Linwood, NJ 08221 Meeting Location: By Appointment Only (609) 375-0351 view details
Parsippany8 Campus Dr, Parsippany, NJ 07054 Meeting Location: By Appointment Only (973) 310-5320 view details
Philadelphia1845 Walnut Street 19th Floor Philadelphia, PA 19103(215) 523-6900view details
Montgomery County516 DeKalb Street Suite C Norristown, PA 19401(610) 924-2870view details
Doylestown123 N Broad Street, Doylestown, PA 18901(267) 938-4480view details
Abington1147 Easton Road, Abington PA 19001(610) 890-4833view details
West Chester203 W. Chestnut St., Suite 204
West Chester, PA. 19380
(610) 431-4012view details
schedule a consultation Today
Contact Us Fill out the form or call us today (866) 465-5395