Skip to main content
(866) 465-5395 Schedule a Consultation (866) 465-5395 Schedule a Consultation

Divorce and Mortgage: The Future of the House Payments

| |

A house with a mortgage is a major asset during divorce. Many questions commonly arise regarding divorce and mortgage payments, such as who will own the house and how to change the name on the mortgage. Below, we address these and other concerns. If you are considering a divorce or have questions about dividing your property, speak with a Pennsylvania divorce attorney as soon as possible. An experienced lawyer will walk you through the process and ensure assets are divided fairly.

Which Spouse Gets the House After a Pennsylvania Divorce

Pennsylvania follows the rules of equitable distribution. When you divorce, the court will require you to fairly divide your marital property, which likely includes your house. Equitable distribution also applies to secondary homes, vacation homes, and real estate investments.

When your house was purchased may affect whether it is marital property or separate property. If, for example:

You or your spouse bought the house during marriage: Even if the mortgage is in one spouse’s name, the house will be a marital asset during divorce if you bought it during your marriage – unless a prenuptial agreement states otherwise.

You or your spouse bought the house before you got married: If the mortgage is in one name because you or your spouse owned the home prior to marriage, the property may be considered a separate asset. If that is the case, the house would not be divided as marital property, and the original owner would keep it.

If the home increased in value during your marriage, the value increase may be considered marital property. The court will consider the length of the marriage and each party’s contribution and will divide the increased value fairly between the spouses.

You or your ex may not want the home. In those situations, one party has the option of “buying out” the other’s share of the house in cash or with other property. The party who gets the house will become responsible for the mortgage and all costs associated with the home.

It is possible to keep the house in both names after the divorce. However, this option is ill-advised. Rather, the goal should be to put the house and mortgage under one spouse’s name, or if neither spouse wants it, to sell it.

Determining Whether to Keep the House or Sell It

There are emotional and financial considerations when deciding to keep or sell your home. You will need to identify the value of your home and any hidden costs. Then, you can address the following:

  • The equity you and your spouse have in your home.
  • How much money you owe on the house.
  • Whether your house worth less than the amount owed on it.

A certified appraisal is often beneficial when deciding whether to keep the house or sell it.

Assuming a Mortgage After Divorce

If you keep your home, you will need to refinance your mortgage in your name. Before taking this step, it’s important to consider whether you:

  • Have sufficient credit and income to refinance the house on your own.
  • Can afford the mortgage payments on your post-divorce income.
  • Can afford taxes, insurance, necessary repairs, maintenance, and improvements.

You may need to draw up a post-divorce budget to determine whether you can realistically keep the house as the sole owner.
Looking for more Information? Download our FREE Guide “Leaving the Family Home”

Removing Your Name or Your Ex’s Name from the Mortgage After Divorce

Refinancing the mortgage into one spouse’s name relieves the other spouse of liability for the mortgage loan. In property settlement agreements, there is usually a provision that says the party who will own the house must refinance the property within a certain period of time. The provision will typically mandate that if the refinance does not occur by the deadline, the house will be listed for sale.

It is possible to keep both names on the mortgage. However, the spouse who is not keeping the house will face liability if the mortgage is not paid. It may also affect his or her ability to take out loans in the future. Further, when exes both stay on the mortgage, the mortgage company cannot enforce your mortgage’s due-on-sale clause, which requires the entire mortgage to be paid if an ownership interest in the property is transferred.

Contact Our Divorce Lawyers for Assistance

If you are thinking about divorce, we can explain your rights and the next steps. Contact Petrelli Previtera, LLC to schedule a consultation to discuss your rights. Call 866-465-5395 to schedule an appointment.

Client Testimonials

Here's what our clients have to say about working with us. Please note, results may vary based on individual circumstances.

Melinda Previtera, Esq. came highly recommended to our family. Her knowledge base, professionalism, and compassion paved the way for a successful outcome. Melinda is efficient, detailed, and informative. She helps manage expectations, and postures her client for a fair and equitable result. We are happy to recommend Melinda!

Jennifer A.

My experience was very good. Everyone was professional and attentive to my needs, keeping me updated every step of the way. I couldn’t ask for a better result, highly recommended.

David R.

My marriage life has been a hell for me for the past four years until I decided to put an end to what has to be ended. Choosing a lawyer was another additional stressful part of the long process. I’m so glad that I’ve found the right one for me at Petrelli Previtera. Life isn’t always fair, but at least having her in my corner, felt even better. I couldn’t recommend her highly enough!

Caitlin B.

Serving Clients at the Following Locations

Bethesda4800 Hampden Lane, Suite 200 Bethesda MD 20814(301) 234-7409view details
Maryland5425 Wisconsin Ave Chevy Chase, MD 20815(301) 889-8085view details
ChicagoTwo Prudential Plaza 180 North Stetson Suite 3500 Chicago, IL 60601(312) 252-2085view details
Schaumburg1750 E. Golf Rd, Suite 382 Schaumburg, IL 60173(630) 491-9670view details
Texas500 W 2nd St Suite 1900 Austin, TX 78701(512) 883-1684view details
Washington DC1717 K Street NW, Suite 900 Washington DC 20006(202) 519-0366view details
Denver7900 E. Union Ave. Suite 1100, Denver, CO 80237(720) 821-6440view details
Princeton475 Wall St, Suite 214, Princeton, NJ 08540 Meeting Location: By Appointment Only (609) 917 9560 view details
Linwood210 New Road #15 Linwood, NJ 08221 Meeting Location: By Appointment Only (609) 375-0351 view details
Parsippany8 Campus Dr, Parsippany, NJ 07054 Meeting Location: By Appointment Only (973) 310-5320 view details
Philadelphia1845 Walnut Street 19th Floor Philadelphia, PA 19103(215) 523-6900view details
Montgomery County516 DeKalb Street Suite C Norristown, PA 19401(610) 924-2870view details
Doylestown123 N Broad Street, Doylestown, PA 18901(267) 938-4480view details
Abington1147 Easton Road, Abington PA 19001(610) 890-4833view details
West Chester203 W. Chestnut St., Suite 204
West Chester, PA. 19380
(610) 431-4012view details
schedule a consultation Today
Contact Us Fill out the form or call us today (866) 465-5395