Skip to main content
(866) 465-5395 Schedule a Consultation (866) 465-5395 Schedule a Consultation

Divorce, College and Financial Aid

| |

Recently, on CBS’s “MoneyWatch” a divorced mother wrote in with a relevant question about filing for financial aid for her daughter as a divorced parent. Specifically, who should file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (“FAFSA”) form on behalf of her child. Five helpful tips were given:

  1. Who the child lives with matters

    The parent that the child lives with for the majority of the year is the parent who should file the FAFSA form. That parent would include only his or her income.

  2. Use the correct time period

    When determining the residency of the child, do not look at the calendar year. For financial aid purposes, the parent must determine where the child lived most of the year during the 12-month period that ends on the day the FAFSA form is signed. For example, if the form is signed on February 15, 2014 the 12-month period would begin from February 15, 2013.

  3. The parent who claims the child on his or her tax returns is irrelevant

    Typically, the parent who has the child in his or her custodial care for the majority of the year is the one who claims the child for tax purposes. But, if the parties have set up another arrangement, the party filing for FAFSA does not have to worry that this would effect the form or granting of aid. Child support is also irrelevant.

  4. Remarriage matters

    If a parent remarries, the new spouse’s income and assets must be reported on the FAFSA form and could impact an award of aid.

  5. The CSS/Financial Aid Profile follows different rules

    250 schools use the profile aid form which treats divorce differently than FAFSA. The major difference is that both parents income is reported, not just the parent where the child primarily lives.

Client Testimonials

They are amazing! I highly recommend anyone that is in need of assistance with child support hearings to seek out the expertise and experience of this law firm and staff! They handled my case quickly and I feel that my money was put to good use. Much appreciated! Nothing less than five stars!

Alana Deverson

I just want to say GREAT JOB! She is a no nonsense professional with years of experience that qualifies her as a skilled Family Law attorney. She is seasoned, sensitive, and most of all she cares. She made things easy for me. Definitely recommend!

Kimberly Colby

Overall I was pleased with the results of my divorce case. The entire Petrelli Previtera team truly cares about their clients. Luckily for me, I was paired up with an amazing team helping all the way. If you happen to work with this firm and with the lawyers you’ll be in great hands. It was such an excellent service and it was beyond I expected.

A Family Law Client Chevy Chase , MD

Serving Clients at the Following Locations

Bethesda4800 Hampden Lane, Suite 200 Bethesda MD 20814(301) 234-7409view details
Maryland5425 Wisconsin Ave Chevy Chase, MD 20815(301) 889-8085view details
ChicagoTwo Prudential Plaza 180 North Stetson Suite 3500 Chicago, IL 60601(312) 252-2085view details
Schaumburg1750 E. Golf Rd, Suite 382 Schaumburg, IL 60173(630) 491-9670view details
Texas500 W 2nd St Suite 1900 Austin, TX 78701(512) 883-1684view details
Washington DC1717 K Street NW, Suite 900 Washington DC 20006(202) 519-0366view details
Denver7900 E. Union Ave. Suite 1100, Denver, CO 80237(720) 821-6440view details
Princeton475 Wall St, Suite 214, Princeton, NJ 08540(609) 917 9560view details
Linwood210 New Road #15 Linwood, NJ 08221(609) 375-0351view details
Parsippany8 Campus Dr, Parsippany, NJ 07054(973) 310-5320view details
Philadelphia1845 Walnut Street 19th Floor Philadelphia, PA 19103(215) 523-6900view details
Montgomery County516 DeKalb Street Suite C Norristown, PA 19401(610) 924-2870view details
Doylestown123 N Broad Street, Doylestown, PA 18901(267) 938-4480view details
Abington1147 Easton Road, Abington PA 19001(610) 890-4833view details
West Chester203 W. Chestnut St., Suite 204
West Chester, PA. 19380
(610) 431-4012view details
schedule a consultation Today
Contact Us Fill out the form or call us today (866) 465-5395