Skip to main content
(866) 465-5395 Schedule a Consultation (866) 465-5395 Schedule a Consultation

Is Pennsylvania a Common Law State?

| |

separation for unmarried partners

Each state has its own specific set of laws that govern how a married couple must proceed when they want to divorce. However, when unmarried partners separate, they do not have the same rights and responsibilities by law. Below are a few key differences and the legal measures you may be able to take if you’re breaking up.

If You’re Not Married, Your Assets are Not ‘Marital Property’

Unless they signed a prenuptial agreement that states otherwise, married couples who divorce must divide their assets according to state law. The courts consider everything they own to be “marital property,” including their home, cars, furniture, businesses, jewelry, investments, and retirement accounts. Even purchases under only one spouse’s name are marital property. They must also split their debts, including credit card bills, mortgages, car loans, home equity loans, tax obligations, and more.

On the other hand, unmarried partners keep their own property and debts if they split. There are exceptions, for example, if the couple bought property together, opened a joint bank account, or otherwise combined their assets. In those cases, a civil court will typically order the parties to divide the property in half, unless one partner can prove he or she paid for more and should therefore have a larger share. Most states do not enforce support setups that work like alimony for separating partners who were not married.

Common Law Marriage

Marital law generally does not apply to unmarried couples who separate. However, the following states recognize common-law marriage:

  • Colorado (Colo. Stat. §14-2-109.5)
  • Iowa (Iowa Code §595.1A)
  • Kansas (Kan. Stat. §23-2502; Kan. Stat. §23-2714)
  • Montana (Mont. Stat. §40-1-403)
  • New Hampshire: (N.H. Stat. §457:39)
  • South Carolina: (S.C. Stat. §20-1-360)
  • Texas:  (Tex. Family Law §1.101; Tex. Family Law §2.401-2.402)
  • Utah: (Utah Stat. §30-1-4.5)

Additionally, some states have laws somewhat similar to common-law marriage, such as Washington State, where there’s a doctrine called “Committed Intimate Relationship” (CIR). We suggest talking to a family law attorney, like those at Petrelli Previtera about how the laws in your area may impact your right to marital property.

common law states
Couples in a common law marriage did not have a wedding ceremony and do not have a marriage license. Still, they hold the same rights and responsibilities as couples who are legally married. If you live in one of the above states and are splitting from your partner, be sure to review the specific laws that govern your division of property.

Separating in Pennsylvania and New Jersey

Common Law in PA

Pennsylvania and New Jersey do not recognize common law marriage. However, when unmarried couples separate, they can still take certain measures to protect their rights and assets and ensure a fair split of the property they share.

Unmarried couples with children must abide by certain rules when they split, however. Pennsylvania law acts in the child’s best interest, regardless of whether the parents are married. One parent can still seek child support from the other. Partners who have children together should put their agreement into writing. If they cannot agree, the parents can schedule a hearing before a judge to obtain a decision.

How Unmarried Couples Can Legally Divide Their Property

If you are unmarried, you still have options if you decide to break up. A skilled family lawyer can assist you in writing and filing a legally-binding separation agreement. While many states do not recognize it in the same way as a divorce agreement, this document addresses the important legal aspects of separating, such as property division, a parenting plan, and more.

If you and your partner are separating, Petrelli Previtera, LLC can provide the legal counsel and advice you need to move forward appropriately. Feel free to contact our firm for more information. We’ll discuss your rights and the next steps.

Client Testimonials

They are amazing! I highly recommend anyone that is in need of assistance with child support hearings to seek out the expertise and experience of this law firm and staff! They handled my case quickly and I feel that my money was put to good use. Much appreciated! Nothing less than five stars!

Alana Deverson

I just want to say GREAT JOB! She is a no nonsense professional with years of experience that qualifies her as a skilled Family Law attorney. She is seasoned, sensitive, and most of all she cares. She made things easy for me. Definitely recommend!

Kimberly Colby

Overall I was pleased with the results of my divorce case. The entire Petrelli Previtera team truly cares about their clients. Luckily for me, I was paired up with an amazing team helping all the way. If you happen to work with this firm and with the lawyers you’ll be in great hands. It was such an excellent service and it was beyond I expected.

A Family Law Client Chevy Chase , MD

Serving Clients at the Following Locations

Bethesda4800 Hampden Lane, Suite 200 Bethesda MD 20814(301) 234-7409view details
Maryland5425 Wisconsin Ave Chevy Chase, MD 20815(301) 889-8085view details
ChicagoTwo Prudential Plaza 180 North Stetson Suite 3500 Chicago, IL 60601(312) 252-2085view details
Schaumburg1750 E. Golf Rd, Suite 382 Schaumburg, IL 60173(630) 491-9670view details
Texas500 W 2nd St Suite 1900 Austin, TX 78701(512) 883-1684view details
Washington DC1717 K Street NW, Suite 900 Washington DC 20006(202) 519-0366view details
Denver7900 E. Union Ave. Suite 1100, Denver, CO 80237(720) 821-6440view details
Princeton475 Wall St, Suite 214, Princeton, NJ 08540(609) 917 9560view details
Linwood210 New Road #15 Linwood, NJ 08221(609) 375-0351view details
Parsippany8 Campus Dr, Parsippany, NJ 07054(973) 310-5320view details
Philadelphia1845 Walnut Street 19th Floor Philadelphia, PA 19103(215) 523-6900view details
Montgomery County516 DeKalb Street Suite C Norristown, PA 19401(610) 924-2870view details
Doylestown123 N Broad Street, Doylestown, PA 18901(267) 938-4480view details
Abington1147 Easton Road, Abington PA 19001(610) 890-4833view details
West Chester203 W. Chestnut St., Suite 204
West Chester, PA. 19380
(610) 431-4012view details
schedule a consultation Today
Contact Us Fill out the form or call us today (866) 465-5395