Skip to main content
(866) 465-5395 Schedule a Consultation (866) 465-5395 Schedule a Consultation

Help Your Family When Your Ex “Divorces” the Children

| |

QUESTION:My husband and I are divorcing and my husband says he doesn’t want to have anything to do with the raising of our children; can I force him to take some responsibility for their upbringing?

When parents divorce, they often argue about who will get custody of the children. In most cases, both parents want to see the children as frequently as possible. Although neither parent wants to “share”, they eventually come up with a custody and visitation schedule that splits time between parents.

But, sometimes a parent decides that he or she no longer wants to be a part of the children’s lives after the divorce. The parent has the right to refuse both custody and visitation. However, he cannot refuse financial responsibility. In Pennsylvania, parents have a legal responsibility to support their children until the age of 18. This financial responsibility is independent of  child custody laws and visitation.

Although the child is still financially supported by the absent parent, the abandonment can be very difficult for a child to understand. It may seem as though the parent is “divorcing” the children.

5 Reasons Why a Parent May Refuse Custody and Visitation

  1. The parent feels that being with the children is not in their best interest. This is often the case when the parent has a serious medical condition, mental health issue or addiction problem.
  2. The parent feels that being with the children will interfere with his or her career, social life or medical condition.
  3. The child has special needs or a medical condition that are too much for the parent to emotionally handle.
  4. The parent feels that the responsibility of having a family has kept him or her from achieving goals and dreams.
  5. The parent is eager to move to a new relationship and does not want to involve the children.

When a parent decides to cut his family ties, the decision has a strong emotional impact on the children. Children may blame themselves or the other parent for the abandonment. They may become angry or withdrawn. They may try to “test” the love of the remaining parent by acting out.

Individual or group therapy can be very helpful when children feel abandoned. The therapist can help you explain the situation to the kids and help the children cope with their feelings. The therapist can also provide guidance as your family moves towards your new future.

Eventually, your family will adjust. But, what will you do if the absent parent has a change of heart?

For assistance regarding family law matters, contact the Philadelphia family lawyers at Petrelli Previtera.

Client Testimonials

They are amazing! I highly recommend anyone that is in need of assistance with child support hearings to seek out the expertise and experience of this law firm and staff! They handled my case quickly and I feel that my money was put to good use. Much appreciated! Nothing less than five stars!

Alana Deverson

I just want to say GREAT JOB! She is a no nonsense professional with years of experience that qualifies her as a skilled Family Law attorney. She is seasoned, sensitive, and most of all she cares. She made things easy for me. Definitely recommend!

Kimberly Colby

Overall I was pleased with the results of my divorce case. The entire Petrelli Previtera team truly cares about their clients. Luckily for me, I was paired up with an amazing team helping all the way. If you happen to work with this firm and with the lawyers you’ll be in great hands. It was such an excellent service and it was beyond I expected.

A Family Law Client Chevy Chase , MD

Serving Clients at the Following Locations

Bethesda4800 Hampden Lane, Suite 200 Bethesda MD 20814(301) 234-7409view details
Maryland5425 Wisconsin Ave Chevy Chase, MD 20815(301) 889-8085view details
ChicagoTwo Prudential Plaza 180 North Stetson Suite 3500 Chicago, IL 60601(312) 252-2085view details
Schaumburg1750 E. Golf Rd, Suite 382 Schaumburg, IL 60173(630) 491-9670view details
Texas500 W 2nd St Suite 1900 Austin, TX 78701(512) 883-1684view details
Washington DC1717 K Street NW, Suite 900 Washington DC 20006(202) 519-0366view details
Denver7900 E. Union Ave. Suite 1100, Denver, CO 80237(720) 821-6440view details
Princeton475 Wall St, Suite 214, Princeton, NJ 08540(609) 917 9560view details
Linwood210 New Road #15 Linwood, NJ 08221(609) 375-0351view details
Parsippany8 Campus Dr, Parsippany, NJ 07054(973) 310-5320view details
Philadelphia1845 Walnut Street 19th Floor Philadelphia, PA 19103(215) 523-6900view details
Montgomery County516 DeKalb Street Suite C Norristown, PA 19401(610) 924-2870view details
Doylestown123 N Broad Street, Doylestown, PA 18901(267) 938-4480view details
Abington1147 Easton Road, Abington PA 19001(610) 890-4833view details
West Chester203 W. Chestnut St., Suite 204
West Chester, PA. 19380
(610) 431-4012view details
schedule a consultation Today
Contact Us Fill out the form or call us today (866) 465-5395