If you have an estate plan, you’ve taken an important step toward protecting your assets and providing for your family in the event of your death. But where should you keep the documents for your estate plan?

Close up satisfied older couple signing documents
The answer depends on the type of documents you have. Some documents, such as a will, need to be kept in a secure place, while other documents, such as a living trust, may not require as much protection.

Here are a few common options for where to keep your estate plan:

1. With Your Attorney: Many estate planning documents, such as a will, power of attorney, and living trust, should be stored with your attorney. This ensures that the documents are kept safe and secure, and that your attorney is available to answer any questions you may have.

2. With Your Financial Institution: Financial institutions such as banks and brokerage firms often provide safe storage for documents such as life insurance policies and other financial documents. This is usually a free service, and it ensures that your documents are secure.

3. In a Safe: If you have important documents related to your estate plan, such as a will or power of attorney, you may want to consider storing them in a safe or fireproof box. This ensures that they are kept secure and can be easily accessed in the event of an emergency.

4. With a Family Member or Friend: You may also want to consider giving a copy of your estate planning documents to a trusted family member or friend. This ensures that someone you trust is aware of your plans and would be able to access the documents in the event of an emergency.

No matter where you choose to store your estate planning documents, it’s important to remember to keep them up to date. This ensures that your wishes are carried out and that your family is taken care of in the event of your death. If you have any questions about where to store your estate planning documents, or if your estate planning documents need revision, we welcome you to schedule a consult with an estate planning attorney at our firm.