Skip to main content
(866) 465-5395 Schedule a Consultation (866) 465-5395 Schedule a Consultation

How A Father Could Change Custody in Chicago

| |

Just like any couple, Cooper and Sasha never imagined their marriage heading toward divorce. They settled into their dream home and eventually the two had a son. However, fast-forward seven years later, Sasha could not stand the sight of Cooper and his quirkiness, which during their courtship endeared him to her. Sasha finally asked Cooper for a divorce.

They had an amicable divorce. Cooper and Sasha settled on an agreement about allocation of parental responsibilities. The son would stay and live most of the time with his mother. Sasha and her son moved to a different neighborhood. Two years later, Sasha, after a few months of dating, had her boyfriend Sammy over and he moved in with her and the son.

Cooper had his reservations and felt that his son did not like Sammy. After being divorced for about two years, when the son was about to turn nine years old, Cooper made up his mind to petition for a transfer of custody of his son. Under Illinois state law, the burden of having a change or transfer of custody from one parent to the other parent falls on the parent who is seeking the shift in custody. The non-custodial parent has to provide clear and valid evidence that there has been circumstantial change in the lives of the parties and that modifying custody is in the child’s best interests.

After providing clear evidence of circumstantial change to the court, the non-custodial parent must now provide evidence that modifying custody is in the best interests of the child. Here is a list of several elements and considerations that the court will be concerned about when deciding if custody ought to be modified:

  • The interaction of the child with each parent;
  • The better option in home, community, and school when it comes to raising the child;
  • An expert mental health professional who would support the modification in custody, that is, having the child move from one parent to the other;
  • The parent who has the better potential to encourage and nurture a close relationship with the other parent;
  • The parent who has more quality time to spend with the child, considering their lifestyle and work schedule.

Seeking to modify child custody is emotionally challenging for parents and children. If you are thinking of having custody modified, make sure you have had enough time and the use of better judgement to make a decision. Speak with one of our family lawyers today to discuss your options or if you are in the early stages of planning your divorce so we can help you understand your rights and options.

Client Testimonials

Here's what our clients have to say about working with us. Please note, results may vary based on individual circumstances.

Melinda Previtera, Esq. came highly recommended to our family. Her knowledge base, professionalism, and compassion paved the way for a successful outcome. Melinda is efficient, detailed, and informative. She helps manage expectations, and postures her client for a fair and equitable result. We are happy to recommend Melinda!

Jennifer A.

My experience was very good. Everyone was professional and attentive to my needs, keeping me updated every step of the way. I couldn’t ask for a better result, highly recommended.

David R.

My marriage life has been a hell for me for the past four years until I decided to put an end to what has to be ended. Choosing a lawyer was another additional stressful part of the long process. I’m so glad that I’ve found the right one for me at Petrelli Previtera. Life isn’t always fair, but at least having her in my corner, felt even better. I couldn’t recommend her highly enough!

Caitlin B.

Serving Clients at the Following Locations

ChicagoTwo Prudential Plaza 180 North Stetson Suite 3500 Chicago, IL 60601(312) 252-2085view details
Schaumburg1750 E. Golf Rd, Suite 382 Schaumburg, IL 60173(630) 491-9670view details
schedule a consultation Today
Contact Us Fill out the form or call us today (866) 465-5395