Circumstances like income changes or the child’s needs can necessitate a change in an existing child support agreement. However, depending on what you are trying to adjust and why, winning a child support modification case can be challenging. Therefore, knowing some tips on how to win a child modification case is essential to improve the odds in your favor.
Read on to find out how you can work with your family law lawyer to increase your chances of winning a child support modification case.
How to Prepare for a Child Support Modification Case
Preparation is key to success in a child support modification case. For instance, if you need to adjust financial support, your lawyer will need to present evidence of income change that will support lowering your monthly child support payments. Additionally, your legal team must examine your kid’s needs, especially in light of the effects of the initial child support order.
Seeking a modification is a process that cannot be done overnight. It can be complicated and time-consuming. Your attorney must demonstrate to the court the effort you took to agree with the other parent before seeking modification. It implies that a significant portion of the planning will aim to show that you have made an effort to negotiate in good faith.
Tips for Ensuring Success with a Child Support Modification Case
A child support modification case is based on justifiable claims. As a result, you will need to partner with an experienced lawyer to help in supporting your claim in the case. Keep in mind that the court decision is binding, so it’s crucial that your counsel be prepared to defend your side to increase the likelihood that the judge will rule in your favor.
Here are the crucial tips for a successful outcome of a child support modification case:
- Hire a family law attorney: A child support modification case might be challenging without a family law lawyer. An attorney will be able to discuss the changes you want to your agreement and why, then advocate for your rights and navigate the legal system on your behalf.
- Your legal team must know the local policies: They will help you understand the procedure and your options better. Furthermore, your attorney will help you comprehend Illinois child support modification grounds.
- Let your attorney show that you are law-abiding: Your legal team should help utilize your present legal options to show that you are law-abiding. This will demonstrate to the court that you are responsible and care about the child’s affairs. Normally, the court won’t amend anything in your favor if you constantly violate the initial court order. Also, try to convey your desire to do everything in your power for your child’s benefit.
- Work with your counsel to document all the proofs for your claim: You will have to compile the necessary documentation for a modification case. Therefore, consult your lawyer to determine what you will need to provide in court. Collect any documentation of changes in your situation that may have transpired since the initial child support order, and records pertaining to your current income. For instance, if you lost your employment, be prepared to present a letter from your former employer, a bank statement to demonstrate your loss of income, and proof that you have applied for jobs without success.
- Work with your lawyer to persuade the court how the change will benefit the child: Prepare to demonstrate to the judge how your proposed modification to child support benefits your child. Usually, a change on its own won’t suffice to justify a modification in child support. Hence, engage with your attorney to develop a strong argument for why your new proposal benefits your child.
- Be prepared to file your claim: This requires collaborating with your attorney to file the application and submit a copy to the other parent. But first, ensure everything is sorted, and all your documents are in place. It also entails preparing your legal team to defend your position with the judge and support your case for modification.
- Have an open mind: You must also consider the risk that your child support modification case won’t be successful. Even though it’s not the result you can hope for, it is important to be ready for it.
Can You Modify a Parenting Plan Without Going to Court in Illinois?
A parenting plan is an essential component of any divorce involving kids. Since they form part of the final divorce judgment, parenting plans are enforceable by law. Thus, you cannot modify a parenting plan without court approval in Illinois. Moreover, you run the possibility of being penalized by the court and losing your parental rights if you don’t follow the guidelines of your parenting plan.
How to Petition for Modification of Child Support in Illinois
You can successfully petition an Illinois court for modification of child support. If you want to petition for a modification, here are the steps:
- Hiring a family law attorney: Your lawyer can help in handling various situations, like filing a claim on a different judicial circuit.
- Filing child support modification form: Work with your attorney to identify and fill the required forms for modification and collect the needed signature for the case.
- Filing a petition: Let your attorney help you electronically file your forms with the appropriate circuit clerk.
- Informing the other parent about a child support modification request: Through your attorney, send a mail notice to the other parent’s attorney about the forms you filed with the court.
- Finding out about the hearing date and time: Your attorney will pick your hearing date and time.
- Doing preparation for the hearing: This calls for the collection and documentation of facts as you work with your attorney to put things in order.
- Attending court hearing: Come prepared with your legal team and ready to present the case for modification and counter any objections brought by other party and their counsel
All these steps are meant to help petition for modification of child support. While following the process, be ready for any possibility because the court may accept or reject your request depending on your legal team’s evidence.
Get Help from Trusted Illinois Family Attorney
Child support modification cases can be complicated for most parents. But, with the help of a well-versed family law lawyer, you can easily push the odds in your favor. At Petrelli Previtera, LLC, we secure your future by offering trustworthy and knowledgeable practical advice. Our main goal is to assist clients in weighing their legal choices and coming to informed and practical conclusions about the course they should pursue. Contact us today to set up a legal consultation and learn more about what we can do for you.