Skip to main content
(866) 465-5395 Schedule a Consultation (866) 465-5395 Schedule a Consultation

What steps can you take to prevent international child abduction?

| |

When you have a child with someone who comes from another nation and the relationship between you comes to an end, you may have concerns about this person potentially trying to relocate back to his or her home country with your child. Relocating when you have a child with someone else is typically not as easy as it may sound, and in some cases, this can lead parents to simply take a child out of the country without the permission of the other parent.

If you have concerns about international abduction and your one-time partner taking your child out of the United States without asking you first, know that you can take several steps to help prevent this from occurring. More specifically, if you have concerns about your ex taking your child out of the country, you would be wise to:

Get a court order prohibiting travel

Many people in your shoes find that one of the most effective preventative measures they can take to prevent international child abduction is to obtain a court order that either prohibits travel or prevents your child from obtaining a passport. In the event that your child has dual citizenship in both the United States and the home nation of his or her other parent, you may want to contact the foreign consulate in that nation, too. Why? In some cases, your child may be able to get a passport through this other country, so you would be wise to cover all your bases.

Make authorities aware of your situation

You may also be able to reduce the chances of your ex taking your child back to his or her home country without your authorization by informing local authorities about your concerns. When doing so, be sure to produce any court orders or custody decrees you have in place preventing such actions. You may, too, want to make sure staff members at your child’s school, daycare or what have you are also aware of your concerns.

By taking these steps, you can effectively make it that much more difficult for your former partner to take your child out of the country without your permission.

Client Testimonials

They are amazing! I highly recommend anyone that is in need of assistance with child support hearings to seek out the expertise and experience of this law firm and staff! They handled my case quickly and I feel that my money was put to good use. Much appreciated! Nothing less than five stars!

Alana Deverson

I just want to say GREAT JOB! She is a no nonsense professional with years of experience that qualifies her as a skilled Family Law attorney. She is seasoned, sensitive, and most of all she cares. She made things easy for me. Definitely recommend!

Kimberly Colby

Overall I was pleased with the results of my divorce case. The entire Petrelli Previtera, LLC team truly cares about their clients. Luckily for me, I was paired up with an amazing team helping all the way. If you happen to work with this firm and with the lawyers you’ll be in great hands. It was such an excellent service and it was beyond I expected.

A Family Law Client Chevy Chase , MD

Serving Clients at the Following Locations

Bethesda4800 Hampden Lane, Suite 200 Bethesda MD 20814(301) 234-7409view details
Maryland5425 Wisconsin Ave Chevy Chase, MD 20815(301) 889-8085view details
ChicagoTwo Prudential Plaza 180 North Stetson Suite 3500 Chicago, IL 60601(312) 252-2085view details
Schaumburg1750 E. Golf Rd, Suite 382 Schaumburg, IL 60173(630) 491-9670view details
Texas500 W 2nd St Suite 1900 Austin, TX 78701(512) 883-1684view details
Washington DC1717 K Street NW, Suite 900 Washington DC 20006(202) 519-0366view details
Denver7900 E. Union Ave. Suite 1100, Denver, CO 80237(720) 821-6440view details
Princeton475 Wall St, Suite 214, Princeton, NJ 08540(609) 917 9560view details
Linwood210 New Road #15 Linwood, NJ 08221(609) 375-0351view details
Parsippany8 Campus Dr, Parsippany, NJ 07054(973) 310-5320view details
Philadelphia1845 Walnut Street 19th Floor Philadelphia, PA 19103(215) 523-6900view details
Montgomery County516 DeKalb Street Suite C Norristown, PA 19401(610) 924-2870view details
Doylestown123 N Broad Street, Doylestown, PA 18901(267) 938-4480view details
Abington1147 Easton Road, Abington PA 19001(610) 890-4833view details
West Chester203 W. Chestnut St., Suite 204
West Chester, PA. 19380
(610) 431-4012view details
schedule a consultation Today
Contact Us Fill out the form or call us today (866) 465-5395